To be admitted to a graduate program, an applicant must have completed a bachelor's degree at an accredited college or university. Although an undergraduate major in mathematics is not required, an applicant should have mastered material roughly equivalent to that required of an undergraduate mathematics major at The University of Georgia. In particular, if you wish to enter the M.A. or Ph.D. program, you should have had at least a semester of advanced calculus; further courses at the junior/senior level in two or more of the following mathematical fields are also desirable: set theory, algebra, topology, numerical analysis, applied mathematics, probability, statistics, and computer science. Students with strong records in less comprehensive programs will be considered for admission but should expect to spend their first few semesters in graduate school completing their undergraduate preparation in mathematics. More information about assistantships is available.
When to Apply
Your application folder should be submitted to the Graduate School by January 1 to assure full consideration for Graduate School support. It is your responsibility to make sure that it is completed in timely manner. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration, even beyond this date, but support can only be given to the extent that funds are available. Awards are usually announced in late February, though some may be made later. Support generally begins at the beginning of the Fall semester. For more detailed information about deadlines please see the Office of Graduate Admissions webpage.
To apply for admission, please send the following items to the appropriate location:
Send to the Department of Mathematics:
Email (preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org
OR Postal Mail: Department of Mathematics, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602-7403
- List of college math courses, grades received, textbook used (if known), and overall math GPA (see instructions)
- NEW: Department Background and Interest Form (must be submitted on line)
Send to the Office of Graduate Admissions:
Address: Office Of Graduate Admissions, Terrell Hall, University of Georgia, 210 S. Jackson Street, Athens, GA 30602. (email@example.com)
UGA ETS Code: 5813
- Application for Admission
- NEW: 1 unofficial copy of transcripts (Graduate School instructions)
- Official GRE General Test scores
- NEW: Official GRE Math Subject Test scores (also required for MA applicants)
- Personal Statement (include your name)
- Official TOEFL scores (for international students)
- Three letters of Recommendation - electronic submission after application completion.
* If you miss(ed) the early-October deadline for signing up for the last of the two Fall Math subject GRE tests, you may still apply: incomplete applications will be considered, but will be at a disadvantage compared to complete applications.