What is the DRP?
The University of Georgia Math Department's Directed Reading Program (DRP) offers enthusiastic, highly-motivated undergraduate math majors the opportunity to learn advanced math topics in a structured, graduate-school-like environment. Participants spend a semester on an independent math project under the supervision of a graduate student mentor. Projects often take one of the following forms:
- An introduction to a subject not covered by the departmental coursework.
- An in-depth reading of a particular theorem or set of theorems.
- A more advanced treatment of a standard subject.
Undergraduate participants in the Directed Reading Program should be enthusiastic about learning advanced math. The only set prerequisite in terms of coursework is completion of the calculus series. Participants have the following responsibilities:
- Meet with your mentor once per week for at least an hour.
- Devote at least four hours outside of your meeting to your project each week.
- Give a 15-minute presentation summarizing your work at the end of the semester.
Graduate student mentors in the Directed Reading Program should be enthusiastic about sharing their love of math. Mentors should be finished with their qualifying exams. Mentors have the following responsibilities:
- Meet with your mentee once per week for at least an hour.
- Be prepared for your meeting each week.
- Attend the end-of-semester presentation night.
Apply to be a participant!
Are you an undergraduate math major at UGA? Are you
- excited to learn more advanced mathematics?
- prepared to devote the required time and effort to a DRP project?
- finished with the calculus sequence?
If so, you can apply to be a participant in the UGA Math DRP!
- Deadline: August 24, 2018
Apply to be a mentor!
Are you a graduate student in math at UGA? Are you
- interested in sharing your passion for math with undergraduate math majors?
- willing to devote at least one hour per week to a DRP project?
- finished with your qualifying exams?
If so, you can apply to be a mentor in the UGA Math DRP!
- Deadline: August 24, 2018
Fall 2018 Calendar
- Friday, August 24: Applications Due for both graduate mentors and undergraduate participants
- Tuesday, August 28: Organizational meeting with graduate students
- Week of August 27: Begin weekly meetings
- Friday, September 7: Book orders due
- Week of September 10: Meet and greet for participants
- Week of November 26: End of semester presentations
Below are some links to Directed Reading Programs at other institutions, many of which have extensive lists of past projects.
- The University of California, Berkeley
- University of Chicago
- University of Connecticut
- Indiana University
- The University of Maryland
- Massachusetts Institute for Technology
- Rutgers University
- The University of Texas at Austin
- Yale University
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please contact Jeffrey Meier.