Academic advising is required of each student every semester. Each semester math students must meet with their Academic Advisor, and their Faculty Advisor in order to be cleared for registration.
Obtaining a Math Advisor
- Students considering a Math major should contact the Math Department Advisor, Kestrina Shrestha at Kestrina.Shrestha@uga.edu to address any questions or concerns.
- In order to book an advising appointment and be cleared for registration for this major, you must first declare the major through Athena, then book an appointment on SAGE (please allow 24-48 hours for the changes to be made).To make an appointment or to view walk-in hours, log in to SAGE (https://sage.uga.edu/) with your MyID and password. Click "My Success Network," then click "Schedule an Appointment" with the person listed as your primary advisor.
- Students who do not already have a Faculty Advisor, will be assigned one by Kestrina Shrestha upon declaring the major and initial advising meeting.
- Honors students in the department must meet with Mo Hendon, the Undergraduate Coordinator, for advising. Mo Hendon is the primary Academic Advisor and Faculty Advisor for all honors students. Honors students will need to email Mo Hendon directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to clear their registration hold. His information is not available in SAGE.
The Advising Process
- Students will meet with Math Department Advisor, Kestrina Shrestha, PRIOR to meeting with their faculty advisor. During this meeting, Kestrina Shrestha will create an academic plan for the student and provide different course options that meet their graduation requirements.
- The students will then schedule an appointment and review the proposed Math courses with their Faculty Advisor.
- The Faculty Advisor will email Kestrina Shrestha after their meeting with the student, she will then clear the student’s registration hold for the upcoming semester.