UGA High School Math Tournament
What, where, when
Every year, UGA Department of Mathematics and Math Club hold an annual High School Varsity Math Tournament on the UGA campus, to foster the mathematical education in Georgia and neighboring states.
[2021 tournament results to-date (updated 11/19); see below for solutions]
We at UGA did not feel safe inviting your students to our campus this fall, but don’t like the idea of a second year of math-tournamentlessness. So we’re holding a virtual tournament this fall, with the following parameters:
- The tournament will be only for teams. One team per school, no limit on the number of students per team.
- There will be three rounds, one each at the beginning of October, November and December. (Specific dates below)
- Each round will consist of a one-hour test to be completed by your team.
- You can complete the test in any one-hour period of your choosing in the week-long window provided.
- You simply submit your solutions by e-mail when you are finished.
- Tests will typically have 3 questions, perhaps with multiple parts. Questions will range from simple and straightforward to significantly challenging.
- Your scores and our solutions will be posted at the end of each testing round. After the third round, a ranked listing will be announced, and winners will be congratulated.
- Prizes? All participants will receive an important mathematical item: the empty set.
- Commensurate with the prizes: there is no entry fee for this tournament.
Test 1 will be e-mailed to all registered participants on the morning of Friday, 1 October. Your team can work on the test in any one hour period you choose before the closing deadline. Test 1 solutions must be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org by e-mail no later than noon on Monday, 11 October.
Rounds 2 and 3 will be similar, with the following dates:
Round 2 begins: Friday, 5 November
Round 2 closing deadline: Monday, 15 November
Round 3 begins: Friday, 3 December
Round 3 closing deadline: Monday, 13 December
If this appeals to you and your students, all you need to do is register at:
and you’ll be included in the first round mailing. There's no deadline for registering, but you won't be sent any tests until you do register. You are even allowed to join in after the first round is completed, if you want.
Hall of Fame
Tests and solutions
Tests from the last and the previous years are available here:
Department of Mathematics
University of Georgia
Athens, GA, 30605
Tel. (706) 542-2211
FAX (706)542-5907 Maurice Hendon mhendon at uga dot edu
Since 2013, the tournament is organized by Mo Hendon and Paul Pollack.
2001-2012, the tournament was organized by Valery Alexeev, Ted Shifrin, and Boris Alexeev.